airtraffic

Author Topic: COA 1050 diverts to KSYR .  (Read 19422 times)

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
COA 1050 diverts to KSYR .
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
Continental 1050 diverts to KSYR , it was originally KCLE to KLGA .

COA pilot and KSYR approach controller had some good conversation  :-D  enjoy

Offline makonyy15

Re: COA 1050 diverts to KSYR .
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:57:11 PM »
I tend to listen to the SYR feed frequently, living just an hour south in Binghamton. They tend to have some very friendly controllers up there.

Boy would I hate to be on that plane though. Get all the way to LGA Final Approach then be called off by Port Authority and have to trek up to Syracuse. Welcome to the cold Upstate tundra!

Flight Aware
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1050/history/20081217/0024Z/KCLE/KSYR
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:15:44 PM by makonyy15 »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
Oh, man, imagine being the passengers on this flight?    Talk about becoming quite CRANKY when they were told that the aircraft was diverting over five driving hours away back upstate after seeing Manhattan out their windows! 

Good clip.  Thanks for posting.

Offline makonyy15

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
Listened to the depature at around 11:00 PM finally off to LGA. Didn't look like the weather was too pleasing on the way out. Ceilings reported around 400ft with 1 sm visibility as observed by a FedEx A306 that departed just before COA1050. Good thing they got out. At least SYR is good about their snow removal and keeping the airport open. They're socked in here in BGM with everything running late.

Offline SYRATC2B

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
The controller in this clip is very nice.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
here is clip Continental 1050  departing KSYR to KLGA  [from clearance delivery]  enjoy .

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
here is clip Continental 1050  departing KSYR to KLGA  [from clearance delivery]  enjoy .

The pilot must have accidentally contacted GROUND on 121.70 rather than clearance on 125.05, as the KSYR feed is not scanning the clearance frequency.  Whoops. Fortunately it must have been late and very slow, as I believe one controller works clearance, ground, and tower overnight.

I am trying to get one of the two FBOs on the field to host the ground/clearance feed if I provide all the equipment but so far I was flat-out rejected by one of the FBOs.  From what I heard management at that one FBO believed there MUST have been some catch in me asking them to host the feed and, hey, they don't want me pulling a fast one on them, those smart people!   Un-effin' believable. 

So now I am attempting to approach the second FBO to see if they will host it.  The challenge to this is getting permission to mount an antenna on top of one of their hangars and also for them to overcome any hard feelings they may have for me since I moved my aircraft out of their facility a couple of years ago due to a lack of snow removal.  Let's see if they have the Christmas spirit.  ha....

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

The pilot must have accidentally contacted GROUND on 121.70 rather than clearance on 125.05, as the KSYR feed is not scanning the clearance frequency.  Whoops. Fortunately it must have been late and very slow, as I believe one controller works clearance, ground, and tower overnight.

I am trying to get one of the two FBOs on the field to host the ground/clearance feed if I provide all the equipment but so far I was flat-out rejected by one of the FBOs.  From what I heard management at that one FBO believed there MUST have been some catch in me asking them to host the feed and, hey, they don't want me pulling a fast one on them, those smart people!   Un-effin' believable. 

So now I am attempting to approach the second FBO to see if they will host it.  The challenge to this is getting permission to mount an antenna on top of one of their hangars and also for them to overcome any hard feelings they may have for me since I moved my aircraft out of their facility a couple of years ago due to a lack of snow removal.  Let's see if they have the Christmas spirit.  ha....

I really hope FBOs approve it . It would be good to hear ground/clearance separately from tower .

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »
I really hope FBOs approve it . It would be good to hear ground/clearance separately from tower .

Keep in mind, though, that with regards to the SYR airport the tower controller is almost always the same controller working the ground frequency. Therefore even with separate feeds you will still hear the single controller talking to aircraft that are not on the scanned frequency.

But in general I agree that it would be beneficial to have a separate clearance feed.  Over the years that I have been active on this site There have been many people who are looking for smaller airport clearance-only feeds.

Offline makonyy15

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
I agree that the clearance delivery feed would be nice too. Hopefully the FBO will be willing. There have to be nice people up there somewhere who will understand and not look for the catch or trick to it, since there isn't one!

Thanks for providing the feed in general! It's a great one. SYR is just the right size to get some decent traffic, but still small enough to follow conversations and keep track of things.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
Thanks for providing the feed in general! It's a great one. SYR is just the right size to get some decent traffic, but still small enough to follow conversations and keep track of things.

Hey, you're welcome!   Appreciate the feedback.

Offline snipper_cr

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
So I love the first fix in the routing is "FAILS"... kinda described this flight.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
"We don't have Victor airways in our....ummm....computer."

That's messed up.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
"We don't have Victor airways in our....ummm....computer."

That's messed up.

Why is that messed up?