airtraffic

Author Topic: Cirrus SR22 (C-GXXJ): Concorde, N Carolina - 8/1/16  (Read 12120 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

Cirrus SR22 (C-GXXJ): Concorde, N Carolina - 8/1/16
« on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »
On January 8, following the loss of control near Concord Regional Airport (JQF), Concord, North Carolina. a Cirrus SR22, Canadian registration C-GXXJ,  was substantially damaged during impact with terrain, after deployment of the Cirrus Airplane Parachute System (CAPS)   Thankfully, the private pilot and passenger escaped injury.

More details here
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/01/cirrus-sr22-c-gxxj-accident-occurred.html

I have not trimmed this clip because some of the transmissions are truncated due to the feed covering both departure and approach frequencies and editing seems to result in an overly disjointed clip.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:46:30 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline InterpreDemon

Re: Cirrus SR22 (C-GZZJ): Concorde, N Carolina - 8/1/16
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »
I cannot help but wonder what type of IFR experience this pilot had. The idea that you would deploy CAPS because your autopilot was acting up or pushing the "straight and level" button did not achieve same I find a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Of course if all his primary instruments were FUBAR that might be a good reason... might, but not being able to maintain straight and level manually on partial panel seems a bit odd to me.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
Geoff, you didn't work that much in this one...

The aircraft is the C-GXXJ and I'm working it so the users don't listen to a whole 28mins clip... :-o

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »
So, here it is!

I'm working on a graphic video of this for my youtube channel VASAviation, if anyone can help me out a bit with the transcriptions via PM or mail, would be so appreciated!!! THANKS! :-)

Offline adanto6840

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Did he run out of fuel? 

He seemed fairly confused about his time remaining -- at one point he says he currently had "14 gallons, about 1 hour" of fuel.  He then goes on to state that if he lands at XXX (don't recall), he'd have "11 gallons, about 30 minutes".  And then after that ATC asks again how much fuel he has and he says "11 gallons, about 20-25 minutes" ...?

Is he just reading back what he's seeing on the PFD, which is adjusting for current throttle, and probably confusing him?  IIRC his fuel burn is probably something like 12-14 gallons per hour @ 70% power.

I've flown Cirrus aircraft numerous times (is my favorite to fly actually) but am really not quite sure what really happened here, at least based off the recording & the linked articles...

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: Cirrus SR22 (C-GXXJ): Concorde, N Carolina - 8/1/16
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:32:02 PM »
Geoff, you didn't work that much in this one...

The aircraft is the C-GXXJ and I'm working it so the users don't listen to a whole 28mins clip... :-o

Thank you for pointing out that I got the registration wrong in the heading Victor. I have corrected it. At any rate the correct one will have been evident to anyone who read the original message and/or used the link I provided.
I spend a lot of time listening to the archives and preparing my audio contributions to this Forum and I would like to assure you that, contrary to your assertion, I did spend some time working on this one. However, as I explained in my message, I wasn't happy with my edited version. Having listened to your edited version I still feel that much of the impact of the occasion/incident is missing when it is not heard in more or less real time.

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 02:32:21 AM »
I spend a lot of time listening to the archives and preparing my audio contributions to this Forum and I would like to assure you that, contrary to your assertion, I did spend some time working on this one. However, as I explained in my message, I wasn't happy with my edited version. Having listened to your edited version I still feel that much of the impact of the occasion/incident is missing when it is not heard in more or less real time.

I was kiddin Geoff! You are one of some that work the most on the feeds and share here. Don't take my comment seriously! :lol: :lol:

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
This took many hours to me, but here it is the graphic illustrative video I made for this event.

Thanks God it landed safely in the fron tyard of a house :-)