Air Traffic Monitoring > Aviation Audio Clips

Cessna lands on golf course (KBVI)

(1/6) > >>

keith:
Here's the news article:
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/14159777/detail.html

This is the aircraft (but not the flight):
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4256Q

Action is on the 1730z KBVI archive, takeoff clearance is just before the 9 min mark. Engine failure occurs a shade under 2 mins later.  The pilot handles the emergency beautifully.   The clip includes the relative chaos that occurs AFTER the incident has occured where a set of similar callsigns cause no end of trouble for the controller.

It sounds as though the original tower controller is replaced (does the supervisor jump on?) one call after the emergency is declared.  I'm guessing the controller is distracted by the coordination regarding the emergency and doesn't have his full attention on the aircraft in the pattern.  He makes repeated references to the 'incident southwest of the field' and apologizes to the pilots. 

I couldn't fit all of the chaos into the 5MB archive. :)

Full credit to the pilot for handling the forced landing beautifully and not stalling as is often the case during emergency situations where the instinct is to pull back.

mk:
maybe the instructor steps in?  first controller sounds like a student.  doesn't bvi allow the cti students to "control"?? 

moto400ex:
Thats interesting to hear some old UND aerospace planes getting good use somewhere else.  UND aircraft normally use the "Sioux" call sign of the last 2 numbers of the n numbers

KSYR-pjr:

--- Quote from: keith on September 20, 2007, 07:26:13 PM ---I couldn't fit all of the chaos into the 5MB archive. :)
--- End quote ---

I ran across this limitation awhile back and I found that I could drop the bitrate in Audacity by a lot (somewhere around 64kbps or even less), which lowered the size of the file but did not overly impact the quality of the recording.  Mono, voice recordings such as our ATC feeds have that flexibility, unlike stereo music tracks.

Great clip nonetheless.

keith:
I was under the impression that using lower bitrates caused playback issues with winamp, no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version