Author Topic: "You're giving him a good run for his money."  (Read 27506 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

"You're giving him a good run for his money."
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:24:50 PM »
In lieu of the two emergency clips over the last two days, I decided to pull this one from my hard drive dated last August 2005.  The clip is a bit lighter in tone than the other two.

It is a clip of me flying back to Syracuse in a Bonanza V35.  The weather that day was a rare event where winds aloft were strong out of the west, but winds on the ground were out of the east.  Thus, eastbound aircraft flying into SYR were experiencing excellent groundspeed right up to the ILS landing east.

Although I was initially closer to the airport, a regional jet was also coming in from the west and was faster, so ATC vectored me out of the way to let the jet pass by.

Unbeknown to me, the race was on.  Also, a sexy-voiced controller (she is my favorite sounding controller IME to date) can bring out the true professionalism in regional pilots.  :)

Offline dan9125

race
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:05:35 PM »
Great clip, did the pilot of the jet say " try me west-bound dude" ??
  Dan

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: race
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »
Quote from: dan9125
Great clip, did the pilot of the jet say " try me west-bound dude" ??

Yes.  He was correctly implying that the only reason I was getting good groundspeed was due to the favorable tailwinds, whereas had we both been heading west,  the winds would have greatly impacted my ground speed but not his.   Given the disparity between our equipment, it wasn't really something that had to be pointed out.  

My theory is that if there had been a gruff sounding, male controller handling us instead of a pleasant-sounding female, the regional jet pilot probably wouldn't have felt he had to defend his manliness, if you know what I mean.  :)

Offline Greeney

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »
Love the clip! Very cool to have a single going that fast.

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
KSYR-pjr,

Nice clip! Thanks for posting it! Do you own that Bonanza?

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:10 PM »
Yes, C172, I bought the aircraft in May two years ago.  The Bonanza is a 1973 V35, equipped with a turbo-normalized (which just means an add-on turbo kit installed on a piston-engine), 285 HP engine.   Engine and paint are new, avionics are relatively new, but the interior is tired.  

At 10,000 feet on a standard day it'll do about 185 kts true airspeed and at FL190 it'll do 195 kts true airspeed, all at at about 15 - 16 gallons per hour.

The fastest groundspeed I have seen was when I was flying back from west to east at FL190 at somewhere around 270 kts.   Thank the strong winds aloft for that.

Offline Cessna172

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »
Wow! Sounds like a nice A/C! Thanks for the info!!

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline Jolly009

• http://firehouse.com
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
And let me guess, you forgot to look for the pilot after you all landed to start planning your next meeting over the skies inbound to your Lady controller....She has a nice voice.... calm cool, and a little flirtatious at the end there.

Offline ozziecat35

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 04:32:25 AM »
Great clip, always nice to hear people enjoing themselves on the radio.

Offline dan9125

WATER SKI
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »
Peter,
  I had to listen to that clip again, it a great one. I did want to ask you, were they calling him "water ski" ? What airline is that?

Thanks
 Dan

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: WATER SKI
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 12:21:56 PM »
Quote from: dan9125
I did want to ask you, were they calling him "water ski" ? What airline is that?

Waterski is the callsign for Trans States Airlines, a regional carrier for American and United who flies EMB-145s:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0874210/M/  

Here is the website where you can look up all of the callsigns you hear (click in the beginning letter of the callsign under the "Telephony" section):

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/CNT/3-3.HTM

Offline msk1172

Re: WATER SKI
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 11:23:31 PM »
Quote from: KSYR-pjr

Waterski is the callsign for Trans States Airlines, a regional carrier for American and United who flies EMB-145s:

US Air express as well.

Offline BrianCLT

Re: "You're giving him a good run for his money."
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 04:09:09 PM »
Yes, C172, I bought the aircraft in May two years ago.  The Bonanza is a 1973 V35, equipped with a turbo-normalized (which just means an add-on turbo kit installed on a piston-engine), 285 HP engine.   Engine and paint are new, avionics are relatively new, but the interior is tired. 

At 10,000 feet on a standard day it'll do about 185 kts true airspeed and at FL190 it'll do 195 kts true airspeed, all at at about 15 - 16 gallons per hour.

The fastest groundspeed I have seen was when I was flying back from west to east at FL190 at somewhere around 270 kts.   Thank the strong winds aloft for that.
I would love to have a "V". Is the CG as much a pain as it is made out to be? Do you really have to watch it close?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: "You're giving him a good run for his money."
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
I would love to have a "V". Is the CG as much a pain as it is made out to be? Do you really have to watch it close?

Yes, a Bonanza pilot does have to watch the center of gravity closely, especially given that a long flight and large fuel burn can result in an aft CG swing. 

In terms of it being a pain?  IMO it is just another aspect of flying.  I use Jeppesen's IFR FlightStar to plan all of my flights and their CG utility makes calculating CG and adjusting load very easy.   Also, because my Bonanza is equipped with wingtip tanks as a modification, the airplane has been given a 150 pound increase in total takeoff weight (to be used as either fuel or passenger/cargo). 

The only real pain relating to CG is that when I top off both the main and tip tanks (for a total of 110 gallons) and then want to fly single pilot, I have to toss some extra weight in the cargo hold to keep the CG from being too far forward.

The Bonanza is an excellent, stable, and fast IFR aircraft and the late model V tails are built very well, especially when comparing them to some of the new single engine aircraft rolling off the lines these days.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:13:27 PM by KSYR-pjr »