airtraffic

Author Topic: KADS: "PAN PAN, I've crashed and we can't get out"  (Read 19719 times)

Offline TangoWhiskey

KADS: "PAN PAN, I've crashed and we can't get out"
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »
I just recently got checked out in N533MC, a Turbo Arrow III in the Metroplex Flyers club.  Really nice bird:  http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photos/N533MC:1.html

Somebody crashed it at Addison yesterday, trying to land in winds 200 16G24.  Video from Millionaire suggests he bounced it back into the air and came down hard.

Attached is KADS LiveATC audio edited for time (dead spots mostly removed, except for when tower called 3MC and there was no response, to make that clear).  Most concerning part, after his "pan pan, I've crashed" was a subsequent "I can't open the door, and I have a busted wing with my kids on board. Concerned about fire.  Please expedite the trucks!" 

I guess my wife is right when she says "I want you to buy a plane with TWO doors!"

FYI, this occurred 11/30 at 4:40pm CT.

Offline comperini

• My Website
Re: KADS: "PAN PAN, I've crashed and we can't get out"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
The man had smoke in the cockpit, but absolutely didn't want to declare an emergency? SMH

Offline TangoWhiskey

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
Unclear... on an earlier recording with Regional Approach, and this one as well, he seems to indicate that somebody else had reported smoke in the cockpit on a squawk sheet, but that it had been looked at and addressed.  I personally think the "smoke in the cockpit" was a red herring, and that the winds (RLOC, Runway Loss of Control) are the primary causal factor here.  We'll see...

See attached for the earlier conversation.

Offline jcl410

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
Since the Tower had already called for the equipment to roll, this question is moot, but....

If you're stuck in a plane with leaking fuel wouldn't that warrent a MAYDAY call vs a Pan-pan?

Aloha,

John

Offline geoffeg

• PPL
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
It amazes me how reluctant pilots are to declare an emergency. If you have smoke in the cockpit or HAD smoke in the cockpit, declare. If the controllers are explicitly asking you if you are NOT declaring an emergency, maybe you should just say "yes".

The guy was concerned about an electrical fire but still had his avionics powered on?

Also, if the door won't open, bust the windows out with your hands/feet.

Offline adanto6840

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
Agree w/ the sentiments thus far...   Am a bit curious where the video you mentioned might be found?

Offline frcabot

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »
Would love to see video.

Offline herewego

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »
It amazes me how reluctant pilots are to declare an emergency.
+1.

Pride be damned, even if you have a high degree of confidence that the situation will be otherwise uneventful, there's no reason to downplay it too soon. Honestly, in the end, I think it makes a pilot look better when an emergency is declared since it shows the ability to recognize a problem and utilize any and all tools to ensure a positive outcome. It'll be worth the few minutes you may have to spend afterwards talking on the phone (or on the ramp) with a FSDO's inspector to explain how your excellent ADM ensured everyone's safety.

Agree 100%. I have had several situations where the pilot was reluctant to declare an emergency when it was clear it had to be done. In the end I (ATC) just declared it for them and the pilots are usually relieved. We can do a lot more to help them when it is "declared" an emergency.