airtraffic

Author Topic: Can anyone help me find audio from fatal crash in Port Orange?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline lseabrook

I'm searching for the audio clip from a fatal plane crash at Spruce Creek fly-in in Port Orange around 7:30pm EST last night. The plane had Embry-Riddle students in it, so I believe it might have taken off from Spruce Creek or Daytona Beach's airport. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Offline KB4TEZ

Re: Can anyone help me find audio from fatal crash in Port Orange?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/small-plane-crashes-in-port-orange/754729895

haven't had any luck, but I'm almost doubtful there was any comm's with Daytona.
link above and story below.

Facebook
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - A 22-year-old Titusville man was killed and a 23-year-old Pennsylvania man was critically injured Tuesday evening when a small single-engine private plane crashed in an empty lot near Port Orange, the Volusia County Sheriff's Office said.

The crash was reported at about 7:30 p.m. at Taxiway Echo in the Spruce Creek Fly-In, which is a gated aviation community, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Laura Williams said.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the crash.

NTSB officials said the plane had an altitude of no more than 200 feet before the pilot turned left and crashed.

Investigators said they're reviewing Tuesday evening's conditions to determine if weather was a factor in the crash.

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: Can anyone help me find audio from fatal crash in Port Orange?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
The aircraft took off from Spruce Creek (Code 7FL6) which does not have a control tower. Eye witness reports suggest it barely climbed above the trees before it plunged to the ground so contact with any local ATC does not seem to have been possible.

This is a link to the Kathryn's Report article which includes a link to the 911 call in its entirety. I'm attaching the first minute of the call here.http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/05/cessna-140-n89864-fatal-accident.html

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:50:51 AM by GeoffSM1 »