airtraffic

Author Topic: Call the tower please  (Read 17530 times)

Offline cboneill0099

Call the tower please
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:57:18 AM »
Aircraft made their inbound call to OXC a little too late, tower wasn't happy.

Offline cboneill0099

Re: Call the tower please
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
I left the end in there because you can hear the phone start ringing toward the end, pretty sure that was his CFI calling the tower for him.

Offline Galaxy001

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »
Ouch.  Someone wasn't paying attention to some significant airspace regs!  Try again next time!  If there is a next time.  ;)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:02:37 AM »
Oops! I know the aircraft and the CFI involved. That's probably the first occurrence I've ever heard involving the two. Technically speaking though, SICOR is outside the OXC Delta by about 0.8 miles.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:05:57 AM by Jason »

Offline cboneill0099

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
That's the only part that confused me about the clip. I understand he should have called much earlier but technically you're right, it is outside their airspace. I guess the tower was pissed because by time he could respond to his initial callup he was already inside their airspace.

Offline Switch Monkey

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
Probably just an Alpha Charlie from the tower controller, but I get a little sick to my stomach every time I hear some get a number to call.

Offline cboneill0099

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
I actually found out that the FAF, which is SICOR in this case, is part of the delta; even though it's just outside of the ring. I was unaware of this.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
I actually found out that the FAF, which is SICOR in this case, is part of the delta; even though it's just outside of the ring. I was unaware of this.

How? It's charted in the Echo from 700AGL and up. It might be considered in the delta for ATC purposes by letter of agreement with N90, but it's not charted that way.

Offline imageaviationservices

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »
well really they weren't in the airspace.  They Called over Sicor.  Sicor it not in the airspace!!!  .5 NM out of the airspace.  Yes, they did break the 10 nm (suggested by the AIM) request for inbound traffic.  but not the airspace...  Good example of how to piss off a controller! 

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »
well really they weren't in the airspace.  They Called over Sicor.  Sicor it not in the airspace!!!  .5 NM out of the airspace.  Yes, they did break the 10 nm (suggested by the AIM) request for inbound traffic.  but not the airspace...  Good example of how to piss off a controller! 

Agreed. How's it going, Kyle? I'll send you an e-mail off this board to catch up.

Best,
Jason

Offline PHXCONXrunner

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »

Well, if the current charts show it outside the ring, and there's no NOTAMs about it otherwise, then it's not part of the Delta.  As imageaviation said though, half a mile is a little close to be calling, and if OXC is busy enough you could get hit with 91.15.

Offline wcrahen

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »
I left the end in there because you can hear the phone start ringing toward the end, pretty sure that was his CFI calling the tower for him.

That sucks, but I love the phone ringing at the end.