Author Topic: busy NY approach controller  (Read 10453 times)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
busy NY approach controller
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
This is a 9 minute excerpt from a recent VFR flight in the NY area. I was monitoring the MUGZY sector (127.60) to get a feel for traffic flows, since I was flying through the area. I didn't call for flight following because he was busy, but even so, I find it helpful to listen to the frequency as ATC will often point me out to other aircraft.

This controller is handling Teterboro, Caldwell, Morristown and Lincoln Park IFR arrivals, as well as the turboprop overflows to runway 11 at Newark (although I don't hear any Newark arrivals in this clip).

The clip was recorded in-flight by hooking directly into the intercom, hence you occasionally here my talking over the top (those are not radio transmissions, just intercom babble).

This controller talks pretty much non-stop for 9 minutes.  It is a completely common occurrence for this sector...I am yet to fly there and not have it be pretty much this busy. It's interesting because unlike a busy final approach controller at a Bravo airport, these guys also contend with VFR guys (such as me, in this case) who aren't in contact with ATC.  If you listen to this clip vs JFK or BOS final app controllers, you'll hear little similarity between them, although they're both very busy in their own ways.

Love the Batman and Gotham callsigns :)  I also find it heart-warming that the controller actually apologizes to the VFR guy who calls for flight following.  You get the sense that he'd love to help the guy out, but simply can't due to the volume of traffic on the frequency already.

Click here for the MP3 file (4MB, 9mins). I was unable to attach, for some reason, so I'm hosting it myself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:11:08 PM by keith »

Offline rekno13

Re: busy NY approach controller
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Love the post. thank you!

Offline mrhahn

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
Thanks for the clip, Keith. How does US GA compare to back here in England?

Offline joebolton

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »
Awesome clip!  I've flown out of MMU and N07(Lincoln Park) a bunch of times.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:59:03 AM »
Thanks for the clip, Keith. How does US GA compare to back here in England?

I wish I could tell you, but I haven't ever flown any GA aircraft in England.  From what I've read, things are a good deal cheaper over here...but from the standpoint of rules, procedures and airspace, I couldn't really tell you, other than:
1) we don't use 'line up and wait' (yet) :)
2) you can be cleared to land here if there are aircraft ahead of you, or if there are departures ahead of you
3) circuits are called 'patterns' here
4) the altimeter is given in inches mercury vs millibars.
5) traffic in the circuit doesn't have to report their position on downwind with intentions every time (my sense is that you do have to do that in England, but correct me if I'm wrong).