airtraffic

Author Topic: Boston John (again)  (Read 25301 times)

Offline timmy

Boston John (again)
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:49:23 PM »
Unfortunately my technical equipment ist not quite state-of-the-art (as opposed to our friend from Switzerland, saw those feed setup pics – huh, quite impressive), therefore I have not attached a clip, but here is what I NEED to share.

I must admit that – thanks to this forum – I have also become a fan of Boston John. He made my evening.  

I was listening to Boston Tower – Jan 7 – 16:00

04:15 (mm:ss)
Pilot (approaching): Hello – Boston Tower, this is United 534, ... John  replies precisely imitating the Hello.

04:44
John: wind 300 at 3 – 33 Left cleared to land – Pilot: That’s a lot of 3s there

06:23
John: ... contact Departure, hasta la vista – Pilot (completing): say  ...Baby

12:23
John: contact Departure, Mokahagadi – Pilot familiar with phraseology...

And on Boston Tower – Jan 8 – 15:00.

07:50
John: position eeeen hold – Pilot reads back exactly

08:20
John’s friendly colleague addresses Jet Bluuuuu (guess she must like John, too)

08:45
John lets Jet Bluuuuuuuuuuu cross his runway...

Hope this makes someone laugh, too. Today I was sitting in the office smiling whenever these dialogues came into my mind (out of the Bluuuuuuu). Contagious.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this running!

Offline Neil

Boston John (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:24:14 PM »
Here it is....

Offline mkreilein

Re: Boston John (again)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41:30 PM »
Quote from: timmy
04:44
John: wind 300 at 3 – 33 Left cleared to land – Pilot: That’s a lot of 3s there

Listen again and you'll get the REAL BIG joke in this one.  It is a sign of John's BRILLIANCE!!!

Remember, Bos John says "tree" not "three".

The convo is this...

John:  Continental tree eighty-two Boston Tower, good afternoon, wind is tree zero zero at tree, rwy tree tree left clear to land.

Pilot:  that's a lot of trees out there, cleared to land Continental three eighty-two

John:  The foliage is great this time of the year.

tree for three and foliage [leaves] are pretty this time of the year...that's BRILLIANT!!!

Offline IndyTower

Boston John (again)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »
Actually for clarity, controllers are techinally supposed to say "tree" and "fife" as opposed to "three" and "five," though you rarely hear it.  

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=661639

Offline mkreilein

Boston John (again)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
That's true.  John seems to be the only one who's read the AIM and he has a tendency to over-emphasize it making it and this situation stand out a bit more than normal.

Offline timmy

Boston John (again)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:16:11 PM »
Good hints there. I had not noticed that difference. Maybe because I am not a native speaker. Or I like to listen to the Swiss feeds now and then, where you can hear English spoken with many different accents (mainly influenced by European languages or dialects), so many ways to say three...

Just had that phantasy of Boston John controlling there and picking up some local sayings (or rather the pilots adopting his Mokahagadi ...?)