Author Topic: Boeing 757 low approach Honduras Airport  (Read 26300 times)

Offline Joost2651

• IVAO Virtual ATC & Aircraft Simulation
Boeing 757 low approach Honduras Airport
« on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
Check this Movie , a boeing 757 approaching Honduras

Offline athaker

Re: Boeing 757 low approach Honduras Airport
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »
wow!  who was the genius who decided to put one end of a runway at the bottom of a hill?  that's frightening!

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:29:34 PM »
That approach looks like a blast to fly.  I'd be flying it with my eyes closed though!

Offline dan9125

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
I think I saw his gear hitting the weeds.

Gecko1

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »
Is that a legal spot to be in? A terrorist could shoot out the wheels with a handgun. If someone were seen in a spot like that in the U.S., guards would be all over them.
I would be a little worried about that landing. Look out for downdrafts.  :|

Offline Pearson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »
Is that a legal spot to be in? A terrorist could shoot out the wheels with a handgun. If someone were seen in a spot like that in the U.S., guards would be all over them.

No closer than SXM, an airport to which several US carriers make daily approaches.

Offline Check Airman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »

A terrorist could also stand on my road and shoot me in my living room. Stop being paranoid.

Offline Himerzi

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
The U.S. is  a completely different story relative to a lot of  Latin American countries, most of these countries simply don't have a security system set up in such a manner that would allow for "guards" to be "all over them" . Quite frankly I think that Honduras has more relevant things  to focus on than worrying about a bunch of spotters being possible terrorists. Sorry if I sound like a D!ck but just wanted to give my opinion.

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »
Very nice  :-D

Offline Casper87

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:45:10 AM »
Thats an insane  :-o

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »
the real messed up thing about that approach, atleast with AAL, you watch a video and then your qualified for it, they dont even allow you to get a check ride and its a captain only landing.

Gecko1

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 07:27:58 PM »
A terrorist could also stand on my road and shoot me in my living room. Stop being paranoid.

The U.S. is  a completely different story relative to a lot of  Latin American countries, most of these countries simply don't have a security system set up in such a manner that would allow for "guards" to be "all over them" . Quite frankly I think that Honduras has more relevant things  to focus on than worrying about a bunch of spotters being possible terrorists. Sorry if I sound like a D!ck but just wanted to give my opinion.
True... I guess that's the sad thing about the world these days. You can't practice aviation related hobbies without drawing suspicion or needing a license. I just hope they never decide to make ATC off limits to civilians, or, god help us, scramble the transmissions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:47:40 PM by Gecko1 »

Offline ozziecat35

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 02:35:10 AM »
Wow, quite the exciting approach,can't wait to load that into FS9.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they've since bulldozed that hill so the approach isn't quite as exciting any more.

Offline kaffemaskin

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »
runway doesnt look all that long either. must be scary as a passanger looking out the window going now we're landing and then it just continues down. whoa!

Offline TrixieKQ

• Former controller from ZAB & ZBW.
    • Piper Wilson
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 07:32:58 PM »
Isn't the Aspen, Colorado airport kind of similar?  A friend of mine sent me a picture of an aircraft on approach there.  He was standing on a hill off to the side of the runway, and the aircraft was lower than he was; i.e. he could see the top of the aircraft - and he wasn't too terribly far away.

Peace

Offline jtgurkin

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »
Having flown into TGU before, I can say from personal experience it's a little scary.  I flew in on a COA 737 it wasn't as bad as the AA 757, so I hear.  Takeoff is also an interesting as there is a hill at the other end of the runway which if i remember right is maybe 6000 ft long.  It's hard to find a flat spot in a country that is 95% mtns.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 04:20:47 AM »
runway doesnt look all that long either. must be scary as a passanger looking out the window going now we're landing and then it just continues down. whoa!

To be honest, this isn't bad. I've been scared by worse.. Much worse! :P

Try Paro (VQPR): http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0540452/M/
If the field isn't VMC, it isn't open, because there are steep hills on both sides, and there are no instrument approaches to the field, despite there being a VOR about 10DME north of the field.

Also, Lukla (VNLK): Here, Here, Here, Here, and Here.
Yes, the departure "end" of runway 6 slopes up, but it's slammed against a mountain, so you're never going to depart that way. And also, off the departure end of runway 24 is a 3000ft drop. Like Paro, if it isn't VMC, it isn't open. Amazingly, both have scheduled commercial service! Flying in and out of these.. If you can fly in and out of these, you bloody well deserve to be called a pilot!

BL.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 04:24:29 AM by tyketto »

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 10:42:52 PM »
Just for the record...That was not a low approach..that was a full stop..or a landing..please have a bit of respect and get it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Offline dylanh

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 01:33:23 AM »
Just for the record...That was not a low approach..that was a full stop..or a landing..please have a bit of respect and get it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
Maybe you should add a couple more exclamation points...you know, for emphasis. :roll:I'm pretty sure the OP meant that the airplane looked low on the approach.