airtraffic

Author Topic: KSFO - "Tell Virgin to go around" / "Nice job capin!"  (Read 25973 times)

Offline semperflyer797

Re: KSFO - "Tell Virgin to go around" / "Nice job capin!"
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »

I see no reason for anyone to call for a go-around given the distance and clearance, and seeing as nobody did go around, I stand by my position that it's someone trying to police terminology.

It doesn't have anything to do with policing terminology.  "Overshooting" or "undershooting" an approach has to deal with the flight path of an aircraft.  "Go around" is a command given by the controller, or a phrase used by a pilot to inform the controller of what the aircraft is now doing.  You might "go around" because you overshot an approach which might result in an unstable approach or danger to other traffic, but you wouldn't necessarily overshoot an approach just because you're going around. (yes you would technically overshoot the landing area in the go around)

lastly here's a good video showing what the 28's look like on an ILS approach but more or less it's the same once on final as the visuals would be flown.  jump to 5:25
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:17:13 PM by semperflyer797 »

Offline DingerX

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
I don't think you've grasped my point. Until in some cases very recently, "Overshoot" was the R/T used for what is now "Go Around" in many parts of the world (UK, Australia, etc. Google "overshoot go around"). Tower, VRD and ASA all understand 'Overshoot' to mean 'Overshoot', but some wiseacre thinks they mean 'go around', and keys up.

Here's the problem with 'tell virgin': the transmission steps on Alaska's naming of  Virgin. So Alaska is already transmitting, and I invite you to show me a wiring diagram that mixes left- and right- seat radio at different levels instead of giving priority to one. Redwood 345, for their part, were receiving, as their protest shows.

So either the United flight, at least three miles back, could identify a Virgin Incursion, or something else was said. Now. I'm thinking it's some moron saying:

(The pref)"erred verb is 'a go around'"

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »
No, man! It's not he same voice. Even they are doubting about what to say :?

Vic, that's because I believe we are hearing first the Alaska captain and then his FO; Batman, then Robin.

"He's overshooting" and "Nice job" definitely sound like a high-timer, "No, we're landing... 28L" sounds like his younger right seat driver.

When we get finished with all this, I have an aquarium and a couple goldfish with which we can set up and run the simulation, observe and analyze for confirmation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:45:03 PM by InterpreDemon »

Offline semperflyer797

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

So either the United flight, at least three miles back, could identify a Virgin Incursion, or something else was said. Now. I'm thinking it's some moron saying:

(The pref)"erred verb is 'a go around'"

I see what you're trying to convey now.  I think it's possible someone, perhaps as you've suggested the united, saying "Tell Virgin to go around" just based on syntax and filling in the stepped on portion of the transmission though. But then again it could have been Alaska saying "tell Virgin to go around" and someone else saying just "Virgin".  The mystery continues lol.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:42 AM »
And will continue forevah!! :-D :-D

At least we've created a helthy debate in here.

If any of the pilots that appear in the audio, are reading this... show yourselves!! :lol:

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Best I can tell, "Who" was on first, "What" was on second and "I don't know" was on third.