airtraffic

Author Topic: B738 vs. tumbleweed  (Read 23944 times)

Offline bjen9337

B738 vs. tumbleweed
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
Around 12:30 PST, AAL 1309 called LAX south tower to say he was being held up by a tumbleweed on the taxiway, and couldn't proceed. Ops was sent out to remove the culprit.
Maybe someone can find it, and post the audio.
 8-)

Offline RonR

Re: B738 vs. tumbleweed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
Found it...here it is...

BTW, it was AAL1307, not 1309.  Threw me off a little bit while trying to find it  :-D

Offline bjen9337

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Thanx, Ron. Sorry for the typo! :roll:

Offline RonR

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
No problem  :-)

Offline idriveplanes

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
Question about the "RNAV Docker(sp?)" phraseology included in the line-up and t/o clearances.  Up here in Western Canada I've never heard that before, so I find it pretty interesting. 

1. Is it just part of keeping the controller/pilot procedure awareness at a higher level?
2. Is it only for non-commonly used SIDs or every departure?
3. With respect to both 1 and 2, is it a practice reserved only for KBOS, or does it happen at the other big ones in the US as well?

Offline blakepilot

• KDAL LiveATC
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Question about the "RNAV Docker(sp?)" phraseology included in the line-up and t/o clearances.  Up here in Western Canada I've never heard that before, so I find it pretty interesting.  

1. Is it just part of keeping the controller/pilot procedure awareness at a higher level?
3. With respect to both 1 and 2, is it a practice reserved only for KBOS, or does it happen at the other big ones in the US as well?
They're talking about a GPS waypoint.  Specifically, DOCKR intersection on the KARVR RNAV SID from 25R at KLAX.  Most of the major airports (at least here in the states) have RNAV SIDs and STARs.

Offline tszarek

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »
Question about the "RNAV Docker(sp?)" phraseology included in the line-up and t/o clearances.  Up here in Western Canada I've never heard that before, so I find it pretty interesting. 

It's required when conducting simultaneous parallel runway departures using RNAV SIDs.  It's to prevent pilots who might have the wrong runway for the RNAV SID programmed into their FMC (say the expected runway given during clearance differs from the actual runway they were taxied to) from flying into other departing traffic.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N7110.595.pdf

Offline idriveplanes

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »
Tszarek, thank you for the spot-on answer plus link!  I guess the only airport up here in Western Canada that would do it is YVR, and I'm not sure they're quite busy enough for that yet.  YYC will once they get their new runway dialed in...it's probably 6 months away from being open.