airtraffic

Author Topic: B737 diverted to PRG due to bomb threat  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Mormegil

B737 diverted to PRG due to bomb threat
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
On 2016-12-30, Enter Air flight ENT1536 enroute from Las Palmas to Warsaw requested emergency diversion to Prague (LKPR) due a bomb threat by a passenger. Full emergency was declared at the airport with the anti-terrorist team brought in. The passenger was neutralized and later found out to be mentally unstable. Noone was harmed.

Unfortunately, the initial communication is not available, as it happened inside German airspace. The attached clip starts from LKAA FIR Low (from ca 19:30 UTC), continuing to LKPR APP, LKPR DIR (unfortunately, bad radio coverage), to LKPR GND. [I left out the instructions for the follow-me car in Czech, however interesting.]

And, after I made the clip, I found out somebody did the same at even with transcription. (And better coverage of landing, but no coverage of GND communication afterwards.)

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: B737 diverted to PRG due to bomb threat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Nice one, thank you.

Offline sonnycol

Re: B737 diverted to PRG due to bomb threat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
The incident was handled well by crew and ground services, best we can tell. It's a terrible loss of time and money to respond to these kinds of things. But in current conditions, when someone says the magic words, it has to be taken seriously.

Just because someone looks mentally unbalanced, it doesn't mean he hasn't also done what he says he has done. Having to divert just to get a crazy off the plane could be seen as getting off easy.

As much or more than the folks in the cockpit, these deals are the times when the cabin crew more than earns its pay. Talk about psychological pressure...