Author Topic: Audio editing tools - help with adding your own audio clips  (Read 156868 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
I hope others will begin adding their own audio clips and/or interesting bits of the LiveATC.net archived audio.

Archives are available at:
http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php
(Please note archives only go back 10 days and are in Eastern Time)

Here is a list of audio editing tools that I use or have tested:

Audacity - runs on Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems...great all-around audioediting/conversion tool.
Available from: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

CDex - ripping and converting tool.
Available from: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

[More tools to be added]

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Audio editing tools - help with adding your own audio clips
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 11:48:21 PM »
That Audacity tool is very cool Dave.

Those who have Sound Blaster Live sound cards; I would reccomend using your WaveStudio (which can also save in mp3 format)

Start>>All Programs>>Creative>>SoundBlaster Live *version*>>Creative WaveStudio

That's also a great tool and has very good output quality  :lol:

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 09:47:35 PM »
Hey, I don't mean to turn this into an Audacity support forum, so this is just a quick question in the hopes someone has an answer off the top of his/her head (Audacity's website didn't).  If not, don't sweat it.  I am simply looking to contribute to the Aviation Audio Clips board here.

Running Audacity on Windows XP with the Lame_enc.dll properly installed, I have exported an MP3 clip I edited.  

The issue is that this newly exported MP3 clip plays fine in Windows Media Player, but will not play in WinAmp (the latest version).  The clip loads, but when I hit play, WinAmp remains at the 00:00 time and does not advance.  

Any ideas why?  Is there some additional file attribute that must be set in Audacity for WinAmp?

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »
Quote from: KSYR-pjr
The issue is that this newly exported MP3 clip plays fine in Windows Media Player, but will not play in WinAmp (the latest version).  The clip loads, but when I hit play, WinAmp remains at the 00:00 time and does not advance.

I'm having the same problem.  I found this thread on the Audacity forums.

Turns out it does work if the orginal wav's sample rate is 22050Hz or higher.  The wavs->mp3s that wouldn't play were 11025Hz or lower.

If you increase sample rate (little box in the lower left corner) before you export as mp3, it'll play in WinAmp.

Offline Fra

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 04:38:54 PM »
I have a question about the archives. Most of them are complete 29, 21 minutes, but some are 4 or 7 minutes long. Why is that?

Offline Fra

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »
I downloaded audacity and that dll file for mp3 enoding, and when I set it to make the audio in mp3, it did but it won't play in winamp. Any tips?

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:41:14 AM »
Scroll up two posts.  ;)

Offline Fra

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:16:16 AM »
Biff, thanks, that sorted it out.

Offline Hollis

Re: Audio editing tools - help with adding your own audio clips
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »
Here's the one I'm using. Free download and does everything but dance!

www.nch.com.au/switch 

Offline Smileyy1

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
Thanks Hollis.
I just downloaded this tool and it works great!

Mark :-)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

www.nch.com.au/switch 

For my recent recordings I've used an Insignia MP3 player/recorder with audio line input. Device records in WMA (Windows Media Audio). I then use "switch" to convert from WMA to MP3 format since Audacity isn't compatable with WMA. After I get the file converted to the MP3 format, I can do a lot with it in Audacity like editing all the "dead air" and cleaning up the audio. Once you are done editing, export the file back out as an MP3 file.

Both Audacity and Switch are free and are very useful tools.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:34:30 PM by Squawk 7700 »

Offline Mrbun

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
For those of you who aren't aware, Audacity 1.3.4 has an extremely useful effect called Truncate Silence. It removes all the silent parts in a recording. For example, if you download an archived stream from LiveATC it is 30 minutes long. Depending on the size of the airport, time of day, number of frequencies and such, the recording may actually be mostly silence. If you apply the Truncate Silence effect it converts the file into a non-stop audio stream with no breaks between transmissions. Makes even the smallest towers sound like JFK.

Think of this as VOX, but after the recording has already been made.

Great time saver if you're looking to locate a particular exchange or wish to make your own archives smaller.

This feature was first pointed out here by mechanicalamit in 2006 as best I can tell.

Mike

KJET100

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
please add "Goldwave" to this list:

http://www.goldwave.com/

I use it. It works.  :mrgreen:

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
Goldwave has a 50.00 purchase price, and for goodness sake, if yer gunna pay 50.00, go straight to sonycreativesoftware.com and get audio studio for 54.00 and that program is a REAL editor. its based on the old soundforge platform, and I have Soundforge 7.0, and even audio studio for 50.00 will cook breakfast for you.

These are old Sonic Foundry softwares, and I used Vegas and SoundForge when they were Sonic Foundry. I can attest to the fact that not only are they powerful, but very user friendly, and are industry standard audio platforms.

So if ANY money is going to be spent, take my word for it,

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/audiostudio

This is what you want... hands down.... (if your gunna pay anything for good software)

Cap747

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »

www.nch.com.au/switch  

With Wavepad editor I get nasty webpages on closing the application all the time saying I have to pay for trialware... :?  And now MP3 is copyrighted aswell....

[edit] then when I want to un-install this program I'd been given three options though, remove the program, buy it or downgrade to the free version where it all works fine again, including mp3's
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:09:35 AM by Cap747 »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
That Audacity tool is very cool Dave.

I agree, and have found it to be about the easiest one to use! Highly recommended!

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
I am having some good audio clips. How can I add these?

Start a new topic in the ATC/Pilot Audio Clips forum. Give your topic a subject and describe the clip briefly in the text box. At the bottom right is a tab that says "Additional Options". Click on that.  Then "Choose File" to attach. MP3 format works the best. Simple as that!

Hope this helps!  8-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:07:38 AM by joeyb747 »

alltheway

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
Does attaching an audio file needs some extra efforts as it is going to be played by the users when it is displayed in the post? Sorry for the stupid question but I haven't uploaded any audio files till now.

I don't exactly know what you mean, but when you open the additional options you can browse on you computer for the audio file, then save and it will be send to the server... Nothing to it at all... Just be sure you use 16 bit mp3 formats to keep the file small...

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
Dave-
I find Audacity an outstanding tool to use for editing any type of audio. I usually try to export my files for this site at about 64kbs. That way the file is not too big but still has some good audio quality. I would definitely recommend it to anyone to use because of its many tools and its cost--free

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
FWIW, I have done voice work and audio production for years and have used it all, including ProTools, however the previously mentioned Mixcraft is pretty hard to beat for the price and is far simpler for those new to the art to learn how to use. It also comes with a pretty extensive library of royalty-free music and sound effects for you to get started. An example of the kind of stuff you can do almost entirely with Mixcraft is here: http://technobamics.com/

I also use Sony Sound Forge for recording or processing individual clips (like Dick Blumenthal blowing up in the link above) since it has some additional and very powerful tools for processing, in particular saving in various standard as well as customized formats.

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
Audacity is fantastic but Truncate Silence isn't working for me. It trims off the ends, but leaves lots of dead air in the middle. Tried adjusting the minimum threshold but it didn't seem to make a difference. Is there some trick to make it work on the silence in the middle?

Follow-up: Maybe it was an older version I was using, but it works great for me now. My current challenge is how to script it so I can run the truncate command on multiple files from the command line.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:43:13 PM by Chadan »

Offline Moe_Hussein

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
Guys I'm wondering how can i upload an audio record, to the interesting records!!? 

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
I find WavePad far user friendly than Audacity. The free to use version does all you need and more, so there's no need to purchase the full version.

Offline cptbrw

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »
Wavepad is not compatible with OS X machines.