airtraffic

Author Topic: Asiana 214 Crash Incident at San Francisco International - unabridged audio  (Read 49075 times)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
This "real time" recording illustrates the timing of the events as they occurred, hopefully giving us a mental picture of the flow of traffic both on ground and air at the time of the accident.

Audio captured on the KSFO Tower #2 feed (both Tower and Ground monitored)

Asiana 214 checking in with tower on a 7 mile final for 28 Left starts at 1:58 into the recording.

Total running time 10:56
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:17:17 AM by Squawk 7700 »

Offline petervee

heard the recording. very interesting. Heard Asiana 214, but didn't hear tower responding to them. Happy everyone got off. One can say a miracle.

Offline MrClutch

interesting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:07:13 AM by MrClutch »

Offline hburg

Definitely interesting. Almost like the controller didn't realize he was in the final.

Offline dougmurray

interesting to say the least.

Asiana 214 on final @ 3:01, with no reply from Tower

No further comm from Asiana 214 till later

Dead air begins at 3:48 & talk returns @ 3:55, but still no mention of any trouble ?

4:05 we hear "everybody stand by and hold your positions"

Finally @ 4:27, we hear from Asiana 214.

Where's the missing comm (3:01 - 4:27) between Asiana 214 & SF Tower?

Offline oktalist

The controller doesn't immediately respond to Asiana's initial checkin, that's not unusual when it's busy.

There are two tower feeds. One has both ground and tower, so if ground is talking you won't hear tower. The other feed is just tower but this one seems to drop samples occasionally.

On the mixed ground and tower feed there is a second checkin from Asiana on short final, but this is not heard on the other feed. The other feed does capture Asiana's full landing clearance and readback, a small part of which can be heard in the background on the mixed feed. By listening to both feeds in parallel it's possible to determine that the clearance is given immediately after the short final checkin. "What happened over there?" is heard about 45 seconds after Asiana reads back his clearance to land.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:31:51 PM by oktalist »

Offline vectorboy

I understand the stress that a crew would be under immediately following this event but the Asiana pilot's english is pretty bad.

Aren't there ICAO standards?

Offline paramedic268

I would assume that when we heard ground control that was the point that Asiana 214 was cleared to land.

Offline ChelseaToki

I kind of agreed but then..in the beginning of the original recording he says "Tower good morning, Asiana 214, final seven miles south." which was very clear. Asiana's crews getting an ICAO standard English test twice/year.

I understand the stress that a crew would be under immediately following this event but the Asiana pilot's english is pretty bad.

Offline rklinux

You can hear the tower acknowledging Asiana 214 when ground is talking...abt 3:09

Offline njf520

heard the recording. very interesting. Heard Asiana 214, but didn't hear tower responding to them. Happy everyone got off. One can say a miracle.

there were 2 fatalities.

Offline phil-s

Yes, there are. Language proficiency is supposed to be tested with respect to both oral comprehension and comprehensibility. A score of 3(5) is needed for AT license. The level 3 test sounds pretty reasonable, IF conducted correctly. No way in hell this pilot could have passed a properly administered level 3 test. FWIW, and before someone calls me prejudiced in some way, I've spent most of my life learning to speak Spanish with a good accent and would rank myself a 4+ (but not 5) with regard to ICAO standards.

Offline sjbushido

Asiana 214 had a go-around today. Wonder what happened this time.. Nerves?