Author Topic: ASA602 Medical Issue at KSEA  (Read 17197 times)

Offline MattG

ASA602 Medical Issue at KSEA
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
I caught this this morning.  This is my first attempt at editing a clip and posting it.  The clip has been edited to include transmissions from/to ASA602 only.  Let me know if I can do something to improve it!

Offline imboden

Re: ASA602 Medical Issue at KSEA
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
Wow.  At the end, you hear the pilot calling maintenance, saying AED pads used.  Sounds like that women went into cardiac arrest.  Hope all turned out ok

Offline aevins

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
More than likely, the pads were probably attached but no shock was administered. If they thought she was having an MI they probably would attach the pads to see if the AED would find a rhythm in need of a shock.

Offline CFD208

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:42:46 PM »
More than likely, the pads were probably attached but no shock was administered. If they thought she was having an MI they probably would attach the pads to see if the AED would find a rhythm in need of a shock.

Sounds like somebody knows their shockable rhythms.

Offline athaker

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
Sounds like somebody knows their shockable rhythms.

At least we can infer she was unconscious for the defib to be indicated.  Otherwise gotta be an MD or a medic on board to order pads attached within scope of practice :)

Offline The Hoffspatcher

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:14 AM »

The automated defib's (AED) only advise a shock for pulseless V Tach or VF. 

The EEMKs the pilot referrs to are the enhanced med kits which carry a lot of the same drugs and equipment that our Paramedic units have.  Shame they only teach the FAs how to use the AED and not start IVs and give epi and amio  :lol:

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:29 AM »
The EEMKs the pilot referrs to are the enhanced med kits which carry a lot of the same drugs and equipment that our Paramedic units have.  Shame they only teach the FAs how to use the AED and not start IVs and give epi and amio  :lol:
Those kits are dangerous when used improperly, and even simple medical techniques (like performing injections properly) require training and practice.
For paramedics it pays off to train them, their practice will be nearly daily. Flight Attendants usually deal with healthy passengers and the emergency kit is rarely used. Is it worth to train a Flight Attendant to "nurse" level (and keep the qualifications actual), considering the expected use of that training? Now add in the probability of having a qualified passenger on the plane.

Offline stevea713

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
Yeah, that all sounds good. How about we taxi back to the gate and let the medics take a look at her?

Offline mari

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Could anybody write the script of this accident? it's hard for me to understand each word in it in English, there are many terms, also. I would be much obliged!

Offline MattG

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »
Could anybody write the script of this accident? it's hard for me to understand each word in it in English, there are many terms, also. I would be much obliged!

I put this together earlier.  It isn't perfect, but it should help you understand what is being said.

Offline mari

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »

I put this together earlier.  It isn't perfect, but it should help you understand what is being said.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help, it was very useful.