Author Topic: And Then the world changed....  (Read 38390 times)

Offline rb37

And Then the world changed....
« on: September 11, 2005, 03:49:07 AM »
The worst information india found in years.

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:01:05 PM »
Here is a recording at about 3 P.M. on 9/11/2001.

Offline aerosnoop

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »
KVNY 9/11

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 05:25:11 PM »
Good files, always did want to listen to ATC that day. I never had a scanner back then thanks for posting.
LorM

Offline digger

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
I happened to have my scanner along with me at work that day. There wasn't much to be heard, but I turned it on, hoping to hear some military traffic. Later in the day I did.

(I'm sure this isn't verbatum, and I know the numbers aren't exactly the same, but in essence, this is what I heard.)

"Single engine aircraft south of Pittsburgh, this is Cobra One. I suggest you return to the airport and land"

Perhaps a minute of silence...

"Single engine aircraft approximately five miles south of Pittsburgh, this is Cobra One, on Guard. I suggest you return to the airport and land"

Perhaps another minute of silence...

"Single engine Cessna approximately five miles south of Pittsburgh, this is Cobra One, a flight of two F-16s, on Guard. Return to the airport and land. Acknowlege by a wing wag."

:shock:

Never did hear the little guy, but I assume he got the message....

Offline bschott

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 05:50:04 AM »
Those were F-16s from the North Dakota Air National Guard.

Two "Happy Hooligans" from the Fargo, ND based 119th Fighter Wing were the first over *New York* (My mistake...it was Washington DC) on 9/11.

They took off from Langley and were given (another first) permission to go supersonic over metropolitan areas, under FL400.

Two more F-16s from the Hooligan's took off from langley and provided extended coverage (well one more took off as one was already in the air, but needed to refuel).  All four pilots flew over 16 hours non-stop and were mid-air refueled multiple times over the course of the day.

Those four pilots were at Langley for training as they were training to replace the current F-16 detachment from ND ANG, and normally would have been back in Fargo (the 119th only has 16 F-16's...12 that are currently flight ready)

Proud of my home town's ANG unit.

Offline mattkbdl

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 12:48:58 PM »
I thought F-15s from Otis ANGB were first to the scene?

Offline bschott

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »
My mistake...they were the first over the Capital...

"On the morning of September 11, 2001 F-16's from North Dakota ANG's Alert detachment at Langley AFB, VA were the first fighters in the air to defend the Nations Capital during the Terrorist attacks against America. After their arrival The "Hooligans" established a the first Combat Air Patrol (CAP) in a operation that would later be named Noble Eagle."

I appologize for that error

Offline mattkbdl

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »
No biggie.  The response from all fighter units across the country was enormous.  I thank God that we have the capability to get a CAP over a major city within minutes of being called.

Offline marcoleon

F-15s Over NYC
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 12:24:06 PM »
I will never forget seeing those Otis F-15s screaming over my head every few minutes over the streets of Manahttan. The second I saw them I decided it was safe to cross the bridges (rumors were rampant about possible targets) and advised my staff at the time about their presence as well. Being an aviation nut all my life experiencing numerous airshows, I never would have thought that I would ever see military aircraft flying overhead on a CAP sortie protecting me and all the people around me.

Amid all the chaos (actually more like uncertainty), I still felt a strong sense of pride after seeing them overhead.