Author Topic: American 1080 emergancy landing  (Read 18961 times)

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
American 1080 emergancy landing
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »
was listening to JFK yesterday and heard this.... ground plus tower audio. enjoy!

Offline SASD209

Re: American 1080 emergancy landing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:18 AM »
Can somebody help me out here as to what the "non-standard config" is and why it was an emerg? I'm not a pilot and I do not know these things. Thanks much, and thanks for posting the clips.   :-)

Offline martyj19

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »
Here is the AVHerald article

http://avherald.com/h?article=4414b816&opt=0

which reports they needed a brake check on landing and speculates that the flap extension wasn't standard, thus leading to a higher touchdown speed, thus leading to heavier brake usage.  Another possibility might be that the spoilers or thrust reversers weren't usable for some reason, which would require far heavier braking than a normal touchdown.

As detailed in the AVHerald, "configuration" refers to all the equipment on the airplane like flaps, slats, gear, spoilers, thrust reversers.  Something didn't work properly getting set up to land, but there isn't anything in the clip that would indicate exactly what.

In order to get equipment in place to meet the airplane, and guard against a possible tire fire situation (like the one reported here a few days ago on landing), the captain declared an emergency.  That is the magic word that gets that support in motion.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:04:01 AM by martyj19 »

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
Can somebody help me out here as to what the "non-standard config" is and why it was an emerg?
haha....I was wondering the same thing!! lol

Offline NoMad

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »
It is probably also company policy to do so.

While it is not an actual emergency in the sky, it will become an actual emergency on the ground due to hot brakes.  Most of the time, the brakes hold up and the emergency is short lived.  But once in a while the brakes get really pissed off and need to be cooled or extinguished by ARFF.

Offline Comfirm31L

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
It is probably also company policy to do so.

While it is not an actual emergency in the sky, it will become an actual emergency on the ground due to hot brakes.  Most of the time, the brakes hold up and the emergency is short lived.  But once in a while the brakes get really pissed off and need to be cooled or extinguished by ARFF.

Bingo. It actually happens more times than you think... almost always results in no assistance and taxiis to the ramp under own power.