Author Topic: Anyone Have Audio Of This Afternoon's Hawthorn, CA Crash?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline AssignmentDesk

Anyone Have Audio Of This Afternoon's Hawthorn, CA Crash?
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
Hi--

Does anyone have a recording of the audio from this afternoon's (6/10) crash of the plane into an apartment building in Hawthorn, CA?  That's in the L.A. area.
  Thank you!

Les

Offline semperflyer797

Re: Anyone Have Audio Of This Afternoon's Hawthorn, CA Crash?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
SMH, must be a Kalifornia millennial wanting someone else to do their work for them so they can take credit and get paid.

First off you'd need to provide some more information that just a date.  The approximate time in UTC or at the very least an approximate local time is a must have piece of information.  Second, you're talking about some of the most highly controlled, and so hardest to search through, sectors of airspace in the US. So even if you have a good idea of what time the event occurred, there is little guarantee that it is a feed covered by LiveATC.  If you have a tail number for the aircraft then sometimes more information from other sources can be looked at to try to narrow down the search as well.  Being that this is apparently something that was covered by some news crew, a link to their story might also be somewhere that someone here could get additional details as well.  I don't know if this is your first assignment for CBS in San Diego, or you just have no clue of how aviation and aviation audio works, but in the future these are some things to keep in mind when requesting audio here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:19:11 PM by semperflyer797 »

Offline AssignmentDesk

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
Semperflyer--

Thank you for your response.
  The crash occurred at 5:10p Pacific time Friday 6/10/16 (UTC 00:10 Saturday 6/11) very near the municipal airport at Hawthorne, CA (L.A. area).  Two aboard the Grumman American AA-1B died.  No-one on the ground was injured when the plane crashed into an apartment complex.
  I know the folks on this forum are much more likely than me to know on what air traffic control frequency (L.A.? TRACON?) the conversation between the doomed plane and the tower took place.  That's why I submitted my question.

Offline semperflyer797

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »
Good news/bad news...found when they departed Hawthorne but the only audio I've heard is from the tower to another aircraft stating that the Grumman didn't have a radio. I'm not familiar with the area but it sounded like the tower said he was going to crone* or croney*.  The only other thing I could possibly relate to the accident is when TV7 and TV9 Helicopters were working in the vicinity of Hawthorne a bit later.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:09:11 PM by semperflyer797 »