airtraffic

Author Topic: Airshow Chatter on CZYZ  (Read 21009 times)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Airshow Chatter on CZYZ
« on: September 01, 2006, 02:50:19 PM »
Caught this snippet of chatter on Toronto Centre. The centre controller was asking the Snowbirds (Canadas version of the USA's Blue Angels) what a "Snowbird Pitch is".

Feel free to post any other Canadian International Airshow clips in this thread :)

(Edited: Snowboard to read Snowbird ;) )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:34:09 PM by bcrosby »

Offline canuck101

Re: Airshow Chatter on CZYZ
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 12:02:31 AM »
Snowboards... haha, very funny, but we don't have any snow in Toronto at this time of the season 8-)

Cool clip. They flew over on approach for rwy 05 at YYZ on Thursday. I was right under them in my van, picking up some photos at Costco. Always a pleasant surprise! :-)

Offline CYTZ

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »
Show stopped half way through the routine today b/c of low cigs, rain and wind. They'll try again tomorrow.

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »
Anyone seen the F-22 on Saturday during the airshow?  It was too rainy for me to go to the lakeshore and watch.. 

Offline Tomato

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 06:40:27 PM »
Snowboard drop... do you mean Snowbird Pitch?  (Atleast that's what it sounded like!)

Very cool clip, it would have been nice to hear all the talk from the airshow.  I was hoping to catch the local show here but was out of town when it happened, and out of town for Toronto's show too.  I'm so unlucky this year.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 03:58:53 PM »
Snowboard.. yeah.. I have it on the brain.. cant wait for winter..

I was able to bring along my scanner during the show on monday and it lasted 3 of the 4 hours on battery...

Some interesting stuff. Had one person fly in YTZ's zone during the show and got bitched at. It's interesting to see how things are co-ordinated..

While plane A is currently showing, Plane B is in a hold near the "box" (the area defined for the show). The Airboss lets Plane A know when his time is up and gives him vectors for leaving the show (something like "After last pass exit box heading 180 not above 3000 feet").

Once the box is clear, the airboss lets plane B know that "the box is yours" and plane B gives them an ETA to the show (from the hold).

During the show the Airboss would ask Plane B for a pirep on the ceiling (since it was overcast) and let plane B know of anything happening on the ground (birds, balloons, etc..).

I was able to pick up air to air comms between the Havards (a formation of 3 planes) co-ordinating stuff (things like "smoke off, roll now, pitch now, etc..).

Sadly, my scanner battery died before the snowbirds got on stage.

Offline canuck101

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
I had found in previous years my airband scanner was great for the civil aircraft such as the Harvards, stunt aircraft, and Sean Tucker (especially when he talks to the crowd). I couldn't pick up the Snowbirds though, I figured they were on VHF.

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 02:58:13 PM »
I had found in previous years my airband scanner was great for the civil aircraft such as the Harvards, stunt aircraft, and Sean Tucker (especially when he talks to the crowd). I couldn't pick up the Snowbirds though, I figured they were on VHF.

The snowbirds are on 272.1 (military band)..  I have it tuned on this year's air show and of course enjoying hearing them making the calls as they fly (blew) by me..

Seeing the F-22 "unexpectingly" is also a bonus this year!