Author Topic: Air Transport B757 Slides off icy taxiway KSLC 12/19, condensed.  (Read 17259 times)

Offline SntElmosFire

Air Transport B757 Slides off icy taxiway KSLC 12/19, condensed.
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »
Summary from Aviation Herald:

An Air Transport International Boeing 757-200 freighter, flight 8C-594 from Denver,CO to Salt Lake City,UT (USA) with 2 crew, landed on Salt Lake City's runway 34R at 08:51L (15:51Z) and was instructed to vacate the runway at high speed turn off H9, high speed turn off H8 was closed. The aircraft skidded off H9 while attempting to turn off and slid onto taxiway H10. Tower immediately closed the runway and instructed three aircraft on final approach to go around.

The runway had been returned to service about one hour prior to the incident following snow removal and application of chemicals to prevent freezing and sand. A number of aircraft still reported poor braking action upon landing, the runway was expected to be closed any time again, due to runways 34L and 35 not being available the runway remained open however.

SLC had freezing rain in the early AM hours followed moderate snow.  This caused an extremely slippery surface that may have just looked wet.  The recording also shows that ATI594 was asked to accelerate final approach speed and, given that they say they accelerated to 130 kts, must have been at a lower gross weight on landing.  Tower asks ATi594 to make H9 and says "let me know if you can't make it" and ATI594 replies "We will make it."  I attempted to remove noise but tower transmission get worse and worse near the end of the recording.  Enjoy.  Comments welcome (Audacity.)

Offline bbrasmussen

• Aviation Photos
Re: Air Transport B757 Slides off icy taxiway KSLC 12/19, condensed.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:42:19 AM »
Glad you caught the incident. I was on the deice pad that morning and heard only the tail end of the incident as they were taxiing to the ramp. All the surfaces were very slippery due to 4+ inches of snow on top of frozen rain that had happened earlier that morning. After that incident all runways were closed for 2-3 hours as airport crews attempted to remove the snow and ice.

Which tower feed did you use to get the audio for the clip? There are two different KSLC tower feeds. Maybe the other one has better audio.

Offline SntElmosFire

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
Good idea - I will look into that.  I was hoping to get ground as well but that feed was down during the period.

Offline rightseat

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
That was an interesting morning. We attempted to takeoff just prior to the freighter landing, closed the airport for a few hours and was the first commercial flight out after the re-opening of 34R.