airtraffic

Author Topic: AAL64 - New York to Zurich- June 09/09 - Diversion to Halifax - Lav Fire  (Read 21288 times)

kea001

The New York Oceanic Area Control (NYOAC) supervisor advised the Moncton Area Control Centre (ACC) supervisor that AAL64, Boeing 767-300, enroute from New York (KJFK) to Zurich (LSZH), had a fire in the mid lavatory and was diverting to Halifax (CYHZ). The aircraft was provided priority and landed without incident at 23:20Z. After landing the aircraft exited the runway and evacuated passengers via air stairs. An ambulance was called for one passenger after the evacuation. Runway 05 was closed for a short period for inspection.

CADORS Number: 2009A0434 Occurrence Time: 2242 Z Occurrence Date: 2009/06/09
BOEING Model: 767-328

Flightaware:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL64/history/20090609/2156ZZ/KJFK/LSZH

Technicians examining plane to determine what caused smoke, diversion to Halifax
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jmdPm7I9SmvZwAuliJ2eGTrYKoaQ

audio from
KHYA-June-9-2009-2230z.mp3
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:39:52 PM by kea001 »

Offline atcman23

There's nothing better than the smell of a burning lavatory. 

Halifax has seen its share of emergencies lately.

Offline seagull

I love the Google ad "The plane's crew advised the tower in Halifax..."

As always, ACC's don't even exist until they do something wrong.  How do they figure the a/c got from the W track to Halifax.  lol

Offline DaytonaAirport

There's nothing better than the smell of a burning lavatory. 

Halifax has seen its share of emergencies lately.
Are you happy of such an emergency situation? Do you hate life, so that you could murder hundreds aboard?

Offline atcman23

Wow... never heard of a little humor have you?

And no, I enjoy my life and an emergency situation does not make me happy.  Nobody was seriously hurt in this incident.  Being I hold a pilot's license and a CTO, I take such situations pretty seriously.