Author Topic: AFL151 diverts JFK due to woman giving birth  (Read 10765 times)

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
AFL151 diverts JFK due to woman giving birth
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

Offline VASAviation

Re: AFL151 diverts JFK due to woman giving birth
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
Here you go!

I got from their cruise at FL350 over Providence all the way down to taxi to the gate.

BE ADVISED! Another traffic DAL412 also declared an emergency due to "operatin with single electrical system" when being vectored for the approach.

ATC worked awesome and put the two emergencies on 22L and changed all plans for others onto 22R.

Online RonR

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
Nice job Victor!

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Good one!
Two emergencies, one new born - another day in the office for JFK controllers...  :wink:

Probably a Russian mother who tried to make it home in time... Question remains if she gave birth before touchdown (the little one gets Russian nationality only) or after touchdown (makes the baby a US citizen). Or is it a matter of entering US airspace?

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Hey guys, thanks!!  :-) :-)

It's heard "delivery on board" several times by the russian pilot but don't know if he means they expect to give birth on board, if the girl already gave birth or they wait to be on the ground.

By the way, I have some questions. If the baby is born airborne, what nationality is he or she?
Let's say the mother is okay and need to be taken to a hospital to give birth... does any cost exit for the mother?

This last question always comes to me when a medical emergency is declared. Who pays the services for the sick or needed person?

By the way, the Delta emergency sounded kinda strange for me the first time I heard it. Firstly I thought  :? :-o now, we got two emergencies. And second, is a single electrical operation a need to declare an emergency? They were 20 miles out for the sequence and got priority via short base visual. They weren't asked people and fuel and taxi was normal, no questions from the Tower. Hmmm would pay to read this emergency report.

Offline klkm

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »
I believe the US allows anyone over US airspace to declare citizenship.  Also you are allowed to claim citizenship to the registered nationality of the airline.