Author Topic: ILS approach to near minimums with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 20378 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
ILS approach to near minimums with ATC COMS - Video
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
First time for me going down to near ILS minimums by myself. Video includes how I brief my IFR approaches.

Video I think does a good job on demonstrating why the runway may not be always exactly in front of you after wind correction angle considerations and ONLY being 1/2 dot off the localizer.

I flew for 2.5 hours waiting for ceilings to climb above 500 AGL.  My next video will contain the VOR alpha back into Madison executed at minimums. ATC and I had an on air "bet" going on whether I'd make it in.  To my surprise, I would have lost that bet.

Offline KPryor

Re: ILS approach to near minimums with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »
Very cool!  I'm looking forward to your next video :)
KP

Offline dylanh

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »
Question: What do you folks use to pipe the audio into your camcorder?  Im electronic-gadget challenged!  I'm just now figuring out how to use the damn thing!

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »
Question: What do you folks use to pipe the audio into your camcorder?  Im electronic-gadget challenged!  I'm just now figuring out how to use the damn thing!

The first issue is does your camcorder have an audio input? Many don't and I don't think any of he Sony's do.

I already had a Cell Phone adapter and found it's excellent for capturing audio into the camcorder. A cheaper way is to buy a cable that's made to capture audio from the intercom.  Going to Radio Shack and purchasing a cable is a really poor solution and you audio will pick up every noise in the electrical system, strobes, charging system, landing gear...

If you are in the market for a video camera that works well in a aircraft let me know. I ordered a new one on Friday to replace my non HD camera. Finding a HD camera that didn't capture the prop took some work.  

Two items to look at:

http://160knots.com/making_video.htm

http://www.barnstormeraudio.com/IRC.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:12:16 AM by fholbert »

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Question: What do you folks use to pipe the audio into your camcorder?  Im electronic-gadget challenged!  I'm just now figuring out how to use the damn thing!

The first issue is does your camcorder have an audio input? Many don't and I don't think any of he Sony's do.

Frank,

Is it audio or mic input?  I was understanding you needed a mic input plug to capture intercom and ATC and disable the external mic? 

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »
Very cool!  I'm looking forward to your next video :)
KP

Thanks KPryor for the kind compliments

VOR Alpha approach down to minimums with ATC COMS

This next video is my trip home executing the VOR Alpha approach down to minimums with ATC COMS

Video segmented.  First part is picking up my approach clearance to KMBO while executing the ILS at KJAN

Second segment is after the touch and go into KJAN and final part is the descent and landing into KMBO. Descent, silence clipped between callouts for brevity as the inside of a cloud looks the same. Dodged some vultures not seen in video on final hence the left move on final,

This is probably the first video of mine where you will see white over white on the VASI.  Ceilings were lowering as I progressed south and I didn't want to lose sight of the airport, so I turned base much sooner then normal and figured to land long..

Kind of amusing to hear the controller voice tone (you are going to do what?) when I requested the approach into Madison in the beginning of the video. ATC audio includes a bet between me and the approach controller in whether I make it in.    I lost the bet and confessed at the end of the video  :-D

Question: What do you folks use to pipe the audio into your camcorder?  Im electronic-gadget challenged!  I'm just now figuring out how to use the damn thing!

My camera doesn't have a mic input, so to capture the ATC I use a patch cord and a $40 Sony audio  recorder.  Type aircraft patchcord in Google and the first link is where I bought my cord from that hooks into the mic input of my digital recorder..

After the flight, I sync up the ATC audio to the video.  This method allows me to keep the engine noise in the background along with the ATC and intercom transmissions.  I like this method as I like to hear the engine power changes during parts of the video for "Monday night QB'ing" my own flights.

Offline fholbert

• 160knots.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »
They do say mic. I give up, what's the difference? Audio vs Mic input?

Microphone Terminal
   3.5 mm stereo mini-jack

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:17:44 PM by fholbert »

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
They do say mic. I give up, what's the difference? Audio vs Mic input?

Microphone Terminal
   3.5 mm stereo mini-jack

Total wag on my part http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080817101914AAq75zv as they refer to line in.  I have seen audio in but only on VCRs that I can remember