airtraffic

Author Topic: A real Channel Master  (Read 23901 times)

Offline InterpreDemon

A real Channel Master
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »
This gal has a voice that would shatter glass, but it sure helps when HF conditions go crappy and she has to herd all the cats over to another frequency. Evenings between ten and eleven are pretty jammed as the bold and beautiful leave New York for their global destinations, especially Sundays, but when the band goes long during the pile-up it gets even more interesting. She's monitoring at least two frequencies, probably more, and it is really amazing how she can stay on track taking position reports while listening for calls in both ears... and typing on the keyboard. Diversity reception allows us to hear it just as she does, both frequencies at the same time, and I dare anybody to try to transcribe this in real time. This entire session is unedited.

Offline idriveplanes

Re: A real Channel Master
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
This is really cool.  What are the tones generated by, and what are they used for?

Offline martyj19

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »
This is really cool.  What are the tones generated by, and what are they used for?

Tone generators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »
Indeed she's good, but I can't take her voice for more than an hour, especially in contrast to the many pleasant voices heard. Can you imagine the poor pilots maintaining a listening watch due to lack of functioning SelCal? A good argument for NOT allowing guns in the cockpit, because in my case I am sure I would want to shoot myself if I had to listen to that shattering glass all the way from New York to Florida.

There's also a young guy who annoys me by jumping in with his instantaneous responses before the calling aircraft even finishes its transmission and/or request. Time and again he'll step all over the pilot the moment he hears the call sign, and then in the ensuing silence as a result of the block he acts as if the pilot has dropped the ball. Send him off to the recycle center, too.

No, you're wrong... I am actually in a very pleasant, if somewhat truculent mood.

Offline turbo2ltr

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
can someone explain or point me to something that explains what the heck they are talking about?  All I hear is numbers.

757-rules

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »
They are giving the controller what airspeed they are going, what frequency they are on and what altitude they are flying.

The controller gives a backup frequency then the SelCal code

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
Turbo, even though it is for pretend pilots, the following is a good synopsis of what position reports are all about and the format:

http://www.ivaous.org/main/atc/oceanic/posrep

For everything you ever wanted to know about typical oceanic procedures from the pilot perspective, you can read this:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/nat%20iga%202004.pdf

Offline johnm1019

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:03:57 AM »
Whats crazy is that someone can do this.

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
I have heard her many times and she is great. She is a very take charge type of controller. I have heard her ream some pilots a new one because they weren't paying attention. Very hands on controller.