airtraffic

Author Topic: 911 - Las Vegas Navajo crash  (Read 31860 times)

Offline sgtstakem

911 - Las Vegas Navajo crash
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
This just illustrates how worthless 911 has become, my sympathy for all involved especially the pilot that tried so hard to get back to the runway...

Offline whterbt

Re: 911 - Las Vegas Navajo crash
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:02:29 PM »
Sounded like 911 did everything they could have done. The operators got as much detail from the callers as they could, and contacted the North Las Vegas tower where the plane was attempting to land. The tower had the situation under their observation and it was up to the tower to ask for additional help if needed.

As far as any resulting fires, same story, the operators got the info and said they were going to dispatch fire crews.

Offline jb8622

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
I work part-time as a fire dept. dispatcher, and I would agree the dispatchers got as much information as they could. An aircraft fire is an extremely rare call to receive, and imagine the number of calls you would be receiving simultaneously from everyone who sees it. I think calling the tower with the information was the best course of action. You can't really send out fire units until you have a firm location to send them to.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
While I'm not laughing at the situation, an inflight fire is argueably the most dangerous situation on an airplane, the calls to 911 were a bit funny.  Dispatchers handled it well....."well we can't exactly follow an airplane across the city."   I understand people were just doing what they thought was the right thing to do.

Offline slyguytoo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 06:06:32 PM »
lol yea not funny at all but i feel bad for the dispatchers cause there is really nothing 911 can do in this case.  i like the guy who keeps saying "its a big fire"

Offline snipper_cr

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »
Interesting collection of audio clips... from the 911 calls to the controller audio thats a cool collection

Offline ctroeger

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
I am a part-time Communications Dispatcher in Indianapolis. All the dispatchers in this recording handled the situation very professionally and did everything that they could with the information they had.
The reason the last dispatcher asked so many questions was because the CAD requires the dispatcher to select what is on fire, this in return prompts the correct apparatus (Engine or Ladder or Rescue etc.).

Sgtstakem- explain to me how 911 has become worthless? I'm all ears.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
When did this happen?

Offline AJ Long

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 02:17:05 AM »
I'm a volunteer firefighter and the dispatcher really does have to try and get as much information from a scattered situation as possible. The dispatchers did the best they could to gather information to send apparatus to the scene. 911 isn't worthless...

Offline btnhtillidie

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
911 Is worthless they will not shut up and take down information.

"The plane's engine is on fire"

"Is he tryign to land?"

No hes trying to go faster to see if the wind can put it out. Ofcourse retard!

When I am in Vegas doubt I will be using 911.

"Theres a fire on XXX and XXXX"

um what kind of fire?, hows it fueled?, any people involved? is it a pole? is it a car? is it my house?, Whats for lunch? did I leave the iron on?

You [mod: you kiss your mom with that mouth?], make the call, roll the trucks, then find out what it is.

Its the same as somone askign to taxi as there picking up there clearence.     
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:43:32 PM by Jason »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »
Post 29270

Calm down there, buddy.  Please keep the discussions civil and the language clean.  Anything else will not be tolerated.

Jason

Offline btnhtillidie

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
Sorry  :-D

Offline NoMad

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
You morons should try working in a 911 center for 5 minutes before you run your ignorant mouths.  You wouldn't last the first 2 minutes let alone make it the full 5.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

BTW, what is your cell phone number?  I want to jot it down that way if I ever see it come up on my ALI screen, I will know not to answer it.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
You morons should try working in a 911 center for 5 minutes before you run your ignorant mouths.  You wouldn't last the first 2 minutes let alone make it the full 5.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

BTW, what is your cell phone number?  I want to jot it down that way if I ever see it come up on my ALI screen, I will know not to answer it.

Hey, watch the tone there.  Please be civil.  Any more trolling and this thread is locked.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:13:45 PM »
I haven't listened to the posted clips, but the LVRJ has a copy of the tapes which has comms between VGT, Metro, and the supervisor at L30. From reading the story, it's rather cool (read: collective), yet intense. I commend the guys at VGT Tower for staying calm about it all.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/29665034.html

BL.

nar1224

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
911 is not worthless, how could you say such a thing? These dispatchers did exactly as they are trained to do.  They even contacted the tower, who inwhich acknowledeged that they were aware of the emergency.  At the end they were trying to get a good location, inwhich the description was vauge.  What else were they supposed to do?

I agree with the comment about working dispatch for 5 mins.

Offline Vegas Apch

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
Trust me, 911 does their job well. This was only 1 of a few operator/dispatchers involved. As the plane was in flight, ATC was also communicating with fire dispatch for the affected area the plane was flying in. That's built into the crash phone network. All calls are forwarded to the respective area where the emergency is occurring.

Fire crews and other emergency personnel who were already en route to the airport, diverted to the accident site.

The pilot was a hero. No one on the ground was seriously injured. He, unfortunately, gave his life trying to land the aircraft in an extremely populated area, in the least hazardous location he could.