Author Topic: 6 Jan: Lufthansa LH400 to JFK returned to Frankfurt from west of Ireland  (Read 3031 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

In the circumstances prevailing at JFK it seems ludicrous that the flight set out. A total waste of resources.

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: 6 Jan: Lufthansa LH400 to JFK returned to Frankfurt from west of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
Flights LH410 and OS87 also turned back in similar fashion.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
My head is exploding by seeing all the flights departing to nowhere since no gates are available at JFK at the moment.

Airlines should cancel flights from origin, not in flight. As you say, total waste of time and money.

The chaos at JFK (don't know at other airports) is clear. A collision has occured and I'm sure more incidents are about to happen not counting the Air China waiting for a gate for 7 hours sitting on the tarmac...

Thanks for your time, Geoff!

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:06:57 AM »
lufthansa shouldn't have to cancel that flight they didn't have any extra flights and didn't try to make their diverted planes go back to jfk and pick up passengers.

just tried to resume normal schedule.
the diverted lufthansa planes returned to frankfurt/munich empty without stopping at jfk.

on the other hand all the other airlines had their diverted planes go back to jfk to pick up passengers majorly disrupting service.

or is the capacity right now not even able to handle regular service?

(i agree they shouldn't have taken off in the first place if they intend to turn them back but still somehow i don't see lufthansa at fault here)

EDIT:
after reading the twitter of flightradar it seems the terminal suddenly decided not to service them because of backlog.
i guess lufthansa would have to pay compensation if they canceled the flight with the airport open and not technically unable to service them.
not that the terminal refuses them they can claim higher force so it's a nobrainer to turn back.

still the terminals allowing the extra flights in this situation is just stupid they know they are over capacity and they do nothing about it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:47:26 AM by wiedehopf »