airtraffic

Author Topic: 3 Feb: China Southern A330 flap system fault  (Read 2393 times)

Offline tigerheavy

3 Feb: China Southern A330 flap system fault
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:45:13 AM »
China Southern flight 344 from Melbourne to Guangzhou developed a flap system fault shortly after takeoff from RWY16, following discussion with ATC the aircraft was directed to position TEMPL (SW of Melbourne) to hold at 6000ft. After around 45-60 minutes in the hold and with no remedy in sight the crew advised ATC that they wished to return to Melbourne but would first like to burn some more fuel to reduce weight. An overweight uneventful landing was later made on RWY16 with the aircraft rolling through to the last taxiway (Kilo).
The attached audio file was extracted from the YMML/YMMB/YMEN feed but only includes a few snippets due to the mixed frequencies.

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: 3 Feb: China Southern A330 flap system fault
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this one tigerheavy.
You found a bit more than I did when I tried locating it on the day. I didn't post mine at the time in the hope that you might find and post a lot more as I believe you have local knowledge.
I have to say I find some of the multi-frequency feeds more than a little frustrating when it becomes impossible to follow a particular developing story due to the number of frequencies covered.  In areas where there is heavy traffic, is it not better to restrict the number of frequencies to perhaps two or three?

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: 3 Feb: China Southern A330 flap system fault
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »
I have to say I find some of the multi-frequency feeds more than a little frustrating when it becomes impossible to follow a particular developing story due to the number of frequencies covered.  In areas where there is heavy traffic, is it not better to restrict the number of frequencies to perhaps two or three?

Absolutely agree here. I also tried to dive the feeds after seeing tigerheavy's post but found nothing else than what he posted. Melbourne is a big airport with lots of traffics, isn't it possible to split the frequencies? That would be great and a good improvement in Australia.

Thanks tigerheavy for sharing :-)