Author Topic: 21 Dec: Singapore Cargo flight arriving at KJFK on diversion earlier today  (Read 3771 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

Cargo flight SQ7971 from Cincinnati to Brussels diverted all the way to KJFK from east of  St. Johns, Newfoundland! 
No reason for the diversion known at present.  Does anyone on here have details?

Offline wiedehopf

Re: 21 Dec: Singapore Cargo flight arriving at KJFK on diversion earlier today
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
they seemed to be parking somewhere around charlie taxiway, so the hazmat stuff i heard about today on frequency probablly was something else.

some 747 with i guess a fuel spill at the general aviation terminal.

Offline kitsaber691

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
they seemed to be parking somewhere around charlie taxiway, so the hazmat stuff i heard about today on frequency probablly was something else.

some 747 with i guess a fuel spill at the general aviation terminal.

Approximate time? Sounds like interesting clip material right there!

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
i only heard about the closure of the GA terminal later i don't know when the spill happened.

also there wouldn't be necessarily anything on the feeds as the spill was probably within the ramp.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:51:19 PM by wiedehopf »

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »

I saw this before I posted the audio clip but I didn't consider the possibility of a link.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/JFK-Airport-Hazmat-Cargo-Building-Corrosive-Material-465717763.html

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
I saw this before I posted the audio clip but I didn't consider the possibility of a link.

Don't think it's linked, the Singapore Cargo flight taxied to some Cargo northeast of 31R adjacent to Charlie Taxiway.
The Hazmat spill was affecting the General Aviation Terminal, that's QD adjacent to Q and 31L.

Also i guess fuel spill wouldn't be Hazmat huh?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:46:58 PM by wiedehopf »

Offline Comfirm31L

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
Broken transponder.

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »

Don't think it's linked, the Singapore Cargo flight taxied to some Cargo northeast of 31R adjacent to Charlie Taxiway.
The Hazmat spill was affecting the General Aviation Terminal, that's QD adjacent to Q and 31L.

Thanks for those details.

It seems that what we need to identify the nature of the problem is the communications at the point the aircraft turned back. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find them. The decision to return was taken at 07.45Z - that is three hours before the aircraft arrived at JFK.

Offline Comfirm31L

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »

broken transponder.

Thanks for those details.

It seems that what we need to identify the nature of the problem is the communications at the point the aircraft turned back. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find them. The decision to return was taken at 07.45Z - that is three hours before the aircraft arrived at JFK.