Author Topic: 2 for 1 Special - CommutAir-DH8B-KSYR - Jun 18&20,2009 - engine failures  (Read 21813 times)

kea001

1)

A CommutAir de Havilland Dash 8-200 on behalf of Continental Airlines, registration N360PH performing flight C5-8752/CO-8752 from Syracuse,NY to Cleveland,OH (USA) with 34 passengers and 3 crew, experienced the failure of the right hand engine immediately after liftoff from runway 15. The airplane climbed to 3000 feet, maneouvered around the airport for about 20 minutes while the crew worked checklists and returned for a safe landing on runway 10 about 25 minutes after departure.

from Aviation Herald
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41b63103&opt=1

2)

A CommutAir de Havilland Dash 8-200, ferry flight C5-1000 from Syracuse,NY to Cleveland,OH (USA) with 2 crew, was departing runway 10, when the right hand engine failed shortly after liftoff. The crew declared emergency and returned to Syracuse. The airplane landed safely on runway 10 about 17 minutes after departure.

Although The Aviation Herald was not able to verify the identity of the airframe, it is likely that the airframe involved was N360PH being ferried out following the Jun 18th right hand engine failure, see Incident: CommutAir DH8B at Syracuse on Jun 18th 2009, engine failure.

from Aviation Herald
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41b81717&opt=1

Offline makonyy15

Nice catches!

Offline Switch Monkey

With all of the bad press the Regional Pilot group have been receiving in the past months the media needs to hear this. Sounds like they did an excelent job, I especially like how calm the non flying pilot spoke on the radio. Great Job Commute Air!

/from a fellow regional pilot.

Offline makonyy15

With all of the bad press the Regional Pilot group have been receiving in the past months the media needs to hear this. Sounds like they did an excelent job, I especially like how calm the non flying pilot spoke on the radio. Great Job Commute Air!

/from a fellow regional pilot.

Agreed. Syracuse handled everything well too. They've had a fair share of incidents over the year and I've noticed they know what they're doing in terms of keeping everything in order and staying calm to help/assist the pilots in anyway possible. A nice role model for other controllers/airports.

Offline matt_milligan

same pilot!

kea001

same pilot!

I think the female voice is the co-pilot. Don't remember hearing the pilot (the male voice) in the first one.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
I saw this plane live, with having engine trouble, flew by my room.

Offline Lost around KLAW

The gremlins are alive and well in Syracuse I see.  Good to hear that all the folks involved with these two incidents had their heads screwed on correctly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:06:15 PM by michaeltovar »

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Haha, I'm no mechanic here, and this is just a guess, but I don't think they got the engine fixed the first time around

Offline Chananya Freedman

On the second incident I thought the second engine blew, not the same one!

kea001

Both incidents involved the right engine.

What happened, maintenance wise, between the first incident and the second incident is anybody's guess.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Both incidents involved the right engine.

What happened, maintenance wise, between the first incident and the second incident is anybody's guess.

...more like what didn't happen between incidents!  :roll:   :wink:

kea001

With all of the bad press the Regional Pilot group have been receiving in the past months the media needs to hear this.

The fact that they were forced to make a second emergency landing after taking off with an unresolved issue is nothing to write home about. I would hope the media would not get a hold of this.

Offline darry2385

The fact that they were forced to make a second emergency landing after taking off with an unresolved issue is nothing to write home about. I would hope the media would not get a hold of this.
at least one local news channel showed footage of both landings.  after the first one they showed the plane sitting in the maintenance hangar.  after the second landing they showed it taxiing to said hangar. 

however, IIRC, they didn't mention anything about it being the same plane.

Offline Switch Monkey

With all of the bad press the Regional Pilot group have been receiving in the past months the media needs to hear this.

Yea looks bad for the mechanics bad for the company but, but dont blame this stuff on the pilots they HAD  to fly it after the mechanic signed it off as airworthy.