airtraffic

Author Topic: 13 Jul: N48BG busted JFK class Bravo twice  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Carro

13 Jul: N48BG busted JFK class Bravo twice
« on: July 16, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
First time he busted was with tracon and the second with tower. He also went NORDO for almost four minutes and the tower had to temporally hold depatures. You can't really hear the pilot in the audio. I do wonder what happens after something like this? He definitely did not seem ready to fly in that area.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N48BG/history/20180713/1700Z/47N/KFRG

Offline wiedehopf

Re: 13 Jul: N48BG busted JFK class Bravo twice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
I didn't listen because i believe i heard it live, but didn't he get a phone number afterwards?

I think the term is "Possible Pilot Deviation" i'm sure if you google it you will find some examples.
The FAA will ask for the reason and maybe make him do a check ride. If it's not the first time he had problems and it isn't some equipment failure or other alleviating circumstance he might get his license revoked.

Offline Rick108

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
Yeah, at the end of the recording the Tower controller gave him a number to call.  It took her three tries to get the pilot to confirm he got the number.

I wonder why the subject pilot is so garbled on the recording, yet the controller seems to be able to hear him just fine.  And all the other pilot transmissions were very clear.

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
Worse radio equipment on the plane and flying low level.

Radio equipment is the number one reason though i believe.

Offline WR1Q

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Yeah, at the end of the recording the Tower controller gave him a number to call.  It took her three tries to get the pilot to confirm he got the number.

I wonder why the subject pilot is so garbled on the recording, yet the controller seems to be able to hear him just fine.  And all the other pilot transmissions were very clear.

The transmitter in 8BG is most likely off-frequency by at least 5kHz. The controller might have the ability to tune his receiver's VFO up or down, either manually or automatically, with what's called a receiver incremental tuning or RIT. The receiver that recorded this communicae is most likely a software-defined radio that lacks the ability to tune the receiver up/down to track the variance in the transmitter frequency.

(Side note, very few radios in the world are exactly on frequency, save for the GSM-band cell towers, which have extremely low tolerances for variance.)