Author Topic: 04 April 2018: KDAB fatal accident discovery on tower frequency  (Read 3491 times)

Offline eagle21

An Embry-Riddle student taking his commercial check ride with a FAA designated examiner flying in a Piper Arrow with the call sign "Riddle 106". I was flying in the same pattern with him a few miles behind him practicing landings in "Riddle 461". Another pilot notices "something white fall" and reports to tower. No distress signal from Riddle 106, just went quiet. Investigation is being conducted now by the NTSB, but witnesses say a wing fell off before the aircraft lost control; no survivors. Really weird/eerie feeling being in the air and in the moment for this incident and losing a fellow student/veteran and a really experienced examiner. Thoughts and prayers for the family, friends, and everyone affected.

More info on the crash, statement from Embry-Riddle etc.: https://www.wftv.com/news/local/embry-riddle-aeronautical-student-faa-examiner-die-in-volusia-county-plane-crash/726898757

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: 04 April 2018: KDAB fatal accident discovery on tower frequency
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »
Many thanks for the clip eagle21. I imagine that must have been a very upsetting situation for you.

The clip I'm adding here is an edited version of the next archived file (ie 1400z).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:31:11 PM by GeoffSM1 »