airtraffic

Author Topic: 01 Dec: Cessna 335, N79HP, fatal accident near FXE  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Carro

Offline Obrienaircraft

Re: 01 Dec: Cessna 335, N79HP, fatal accident near FXE
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
I knew of this aircraft.
It had been sitting in PBI for 12 years + outside and was in deplorable condition.  So bad that the chrome off of the sinners was in a pile under the props, the landing gear steel parts were growing fuzz, the cowl fasteners were so rusted they stripped when you put a screwdriver to them.  Somehow the interior didn't look bad.  There were missing log books as well.
Someone bought it from the owner who was very old, and put it on eBay for a parts plane.
Then it came up as again a week later as a running project aircraft.  I then saw the aircraft in FXE, I asked how it got there and I was told someone actually flew it and said it should never fly again.
The corrosion was so bad on the engine and airframe that there was no way to make it airworthy again.  I remember seeing the exfoliation just on the Spinner bulkheads where the prop deice ring is that was incredible.  I believe this was the first flight after it had been worked on for quite some time.  Quite a shame for all, that a derelict POS aircraft took the life of 2 people.  I have pics of it sitting in PBI somewhere.  I will see if I can find them.

Offline KB4TEZ